After chocolate, seafood (prawns or shrimps usually) has to be one of my favourite food groups 😛 The spicier the better, hence the hot paprika. Hot paprika isn’t always easy to get in New Zealand – I’ve never seen it in any mainstream food store as yet. The box I bought, I found whilst shopping in my local Mad Butcher store, but I think any Mexican food store should be able to help you out with this. If you can’t find the hot paprika, but like the spicy taste, you could probably try a bit of sriracha sauce or even cayenne pepper.
- Precooked prawn cutlets
- Oil for cooking
- Smoked Paprika
- Hot Paprika (optional if available)
- Telegraph cucumber
- Capsicum (any colours you choose)
- Cut the telegraph cucumber into approximately 1cm slices
- With a teaspoon, or a melon baller, scoop out half the depth of the middle of each cucumber slice (the part with the seeds) – thus making your cucumber cup 🙂 Set aside the scooped out part to be used later
- In a hot frypan, or wok, add a little oil and the smoked/hot paprika.
- Add the prawn cutlets & cook until heated through. Keep turning so that all the prawns are coated in the paprika mix. Season to taste. Set aside
- Finely chop up the cucumber you had scooped out previously and set aside.
- Add to this the mayonnaise.
- Assemble the canapé by adding the mayonnaise mix into the cucumber cup, and placing the prawn in the middle.
- Garnish with the capsicum.
- As with all my 12 days of Canapés recipes, the ingredients are just a list of all the products I used to do this. Feel free to chop & change for your favourite brands 🙂