To be honest, before doing this canapé, I’d never actually made cheese straws. It was always something I had bought, but now that I have done these, there’s no way I’d buy them again. The homemade version is so much better, IMHO! They’re great for party food, snacks & even lunchboxes.
- Puff Pastry sheets (at least 2)
- Cheese (I used a combination of mozzarella & colby)
- Barkers of Geraldine Capsicum & Apricot Chutney
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Place 1 sheet of puff pastry down on a flat surface
- Spread the Barkers Capsicum & Apricot Chutney evenly across the pastry
- On this, sprinkle a thin layer of cheese
- Place the 2nd sheet of pastry on top, making sure it lines up with the bottom pastry sheet
- Flatten as much as possible, either with your hands or a rolling pin
- Now for the cutting – Cut into 4 squares. Cut each square into 4 rectangles.
- One by one, pick up each rectangle by the short sides. Hold one side steady, whilst twisting the pastry rectangle at least twice.
- Place on a greased or lined baking sheet. Sprinkle a bit more cheese on each twist.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- As with all my 12 days of Canapés recipes, the ingredients are just a list of all the products I used to do this. Feel free to chop & change for your favourite brands 🙂