It all started with a mince & cheese styled birthday cake. It didn’t have mince or cheese in it, wasn’t a pie & was definitely a cake 🙂 I’ve always enjoyed making & styling cakes, and for as long as we’ve been married I’ve almost always done a different cake for DH. From pac-man to pies, it’s always been a sweet treat. This year, however, DH issued me a challenge without actually thinking he had 😛 He happened to mention, at some point before his birthday, that he’d never seen anyone do savoury cupcakes with icing/frosting. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED said my brain 😛 Timing, however, wasn’t on his side. With his birthday falling on a long weekend at the end of January, visiting family, sharing in 2 other cakes, plus a BBQ, we had absolutely no time to take up this challenge.
Until this weekend just past. With leftover roast chicken in the fridge, the cheese from the BlackBox that we had just received, and a few other extras, this is what happened :
Chicken & Corn Cupcakes with Sriracha Honey Frosting
- 1.5 cups standard flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (I used lactose free milk)
- 200gm Dairyworks “3 Ch3eze” Cheese – combination of colby, mozzarella & parmesan
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup diced roast chicken
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, cheese, corn & chicken, carefully to avoid mashing the ingredients together.
- Mix the egg & milk in a separate jug.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients & pour in the wet ingredients.
- Mix well, taking care not to over mix. It should be a stiff mixture.
- Spoon into a greased muffin tin. At this point, you can garnish the tops with more grated cheese if you are not frosting them.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until brown.
- Made approx 14 for me.
Icing/Frosting & Topping Ingredients:
- 125g spreadable cream cheese
- 1 tsp runny honey
- 1/2 tsp sriracha hot sauce (or to taste)
- Tegel chicken bacon
- Pan fry chicken bacon until cooked. Set aside & try not to eat whilst waiting for cupcakes to bake 😛
- Using a hand/stand mixer blend the cream cheese, honey & sriracha.
- Ice the cupcakes & top with the bacon (or what’s left of it 😛 )
The recipe was a huge hit all round. Master 4.5, who is usually the slowest dinner eater on the planet, ate 4 in record time! The next day, I warmed up the muffin in the microwave for master 4.5’s lunch at home, and DH had it cold for his lunchbox. Both still liking the cupcakes the next day 🙂
You could use any savoury fillings you wish, and the recipe would be great for finishing off any leftover veges/meat from dinner. Let me know if you try it & what variety you add to it 🙂